The Gold Bar Mine is located 35 miles northwest of Eureka, Nevada. The property has seen historic mining from 1988 to 1994 by Atlas Precious Metals Inc. McEwen Mining Inc. acquired the property and began active exploration in 2011. The McEwen Gold Bar Mine consists of an open pit mining operation delivering ore to a crushed heap leach with solution being processed through an ADR plant and Refinery.
This position is a lead role in surface exploration activities at the Gold Bar and Tonkin properties located in central Nevada.
- Collaborate as a team with other exploration and technical services personnel.
- Communicates with and coordinates contract drill personnel.
- Communicates with site and corporate senior management.
- Provides guidance and feedback to other technical team members as requested.
- May be assigned supervisory duties for new or less experienced team members. Performs required training per identified skills requirements.
- Will be required to fill in for senior team members as needed.
Geologic Skill Sets
- Provides input into the current exploration projects and timelines.
- Participate collaboratively in planning meetings, exploration forecasts and reviews of current or planned work.
- May provide operational input into annual exploration budget.
- Uses processes and systems that enable the team to reach objectives.
Operational / Technical Execution:
- Highly skilled in management of exploration processes and applications
- Strong field skill and mapping ability in complex geologic terrains
- Background in structural geology
- Fundamental understanding of geochemistry and geophysical methods with ability to design programs and interpret results
- Advanced knowledge of various drilling methods to be able to design and execute drill programs and interpret results
- Identify operational opportunities for growth and development.
- Computer literate in ArcGIS and modelling software, preferably Leapfrog Geo
- Completes deposit scale geologic models
- Maintain and update geologic models
- Liaise with Senior Resource Geologist to apply sound geologic interpretations to create resource models
- Advanced knowledge of QA and QC protocols and ensure quality standards/goals are met
Administration and Controls
- Take part in general daily staff/management and weekly safety meetings.
- Carry out routine administration and reporting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geology
- Master’s degree preferred.
- 10-15 Years of experience as a geologist, preferably within both mine and exploration environments
- Proven leadership and coaching skills
- Strong familiarity with complex geology of Carlin-type deposits
- Strong structural geology background
- ArcGIS and modelling software, preferably Leapfrog Geo
- Advanced level knowledge of geological operations and exploration processes
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite + computer software and systems relating to this role.
- Knowledge of HSEQ standards and requirements relevant to this area of work
- Knowledge of company policy and procedures
- Coaching skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Management skills
- Level-appropriate problem-solving skills
- Report writing skills
- Effective meeting skills
- Analyse and interpret data.
- Time management and prioritization skills
- Planning skills
- Business acumen
- Strategic thinking
- Ability to utilise radio communications and devices
- Able to effectively manage multiple / changing priorities
- Field work and long-distance transit in natural and uneven terrain
- Exposure to weather conditions ranging from extreme heat, rain, snow, and high winds at elevations of 6,000 feet or higher.
- Field work around heavy earth moving, drills, equipment, vehicles, and machinery present.
- Walking, bending, reaching, lifting, and moving work items.
- Lifting occasionally up to 50lbs
- Required to hear heavy- and light-duty equipment traffic signals.
- PPE required
- Valid driver’s licence
- Operates company vehicles in a variety of conditions
Here at McEwen Mining Inc. our employees are what keep our business going. Part of how we keep our employees going are by offering some of the best benefits in the industry. Some of them are outlined below:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- 401k with company match
- Life Insurance
Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.