- FREE HOUSING AVAILABLE IF YOU ARE NOT FROM THE AREA!
This is a skilled position that is responsible for, but not limited to: heavy duty diesel engine, manual transmission, electronic engine controls, general electrical and hydraulic systems troubleshooting and repair. Successful candidate will be responsible to help with the maintenance of a fleet of dump trucks and trailers. Must have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form and the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. This position will report directly to the shop foreman and will be located in Paris, Kentucky.
This is a multi-functional position, incorporating the performance of mechanic duties on various pieces of machinery and operating equipment.
• Ability to work day or night shift as needed to make repairs necessary in the field and to perform preventive maintenance practices necessary to increase service life of equipment
• Ability to weld and use of torches and operations of lathes, saws, shapers, grinders, and presses
• Heavy equipment parts familiarization including: parts catalogs, procurement, handling, storage, and cost of heavy equipment parts
• Maintain a courteous and professional manner with co-workers, customers, and public
• Ability to be flexible with last minute schedule changes, location changes, time of shift changes. Overtime work may be required.
• Initiative to perform/assist with other positions for job completion
• Analyzes malfunctions and repairs, rebuilds, and maintains equipment.
• Operates and inspects machines or equipment to diagnose defects.
• Dismantles and reassembles equipment, using hoists and hand tools.
• Examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.
• Replaces defective engines and subassemblies, such as transmissions.
• Tests overhauled equipment to ensure operating efficiency (must be able to operate all equipment).
• Welds broken parts and structural members.
• Should have skills in basic fabrication
• Perform record keeping of time and parts used on the appropriate forms.
• Perform general cleaning of work areas and maintenance areas.
• Assist other maintenance department staff in performing the duties necessary to assure the efficiency of operations of vehicles.
• Ability to follow verbal and written instruction
• Ability to do basic math
• Ability to understand and carry out detailed written or oral instructions
• CDL Class A self-certified non-excepted interstate and current DOT physical card is required within the first 90 days of employment
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (continued):
• Perform mechanical and general appearance reconditioning of equipment
• Identify and determine parts required for repair of disassembled units
• Perform all levels of preventive maintenance services
• Identify repairs and document on repair order
• Maintain work area appearance and safety
• Road test vehicles when necessary to diagnose malfunctions or to ensure that they are working properly
• Use hand tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pressure gauges, and precision instruments as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, welding equipment, and jacks and hoists
• Perform routine maintenance such as changing oil, checking batteries, and lubricating equipment and machinery
• Adjust and replace brakes, tighten bolts and screws, and reassemble equipment
• Inspect, test, and listen to defective equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using test instruments such as handheld computers, motor analyzers, pressure gauges, as well as multi-meters
• Examine and adjust protective guards, loose bolts, and specified safety devices
• Inspect and verify dimensions and clearances of parts to ensure conformance to factory specifications
• Specialize in repairing and troubleshooting of major components such as engines, transmissions and differentials, to include replacing complete assemblies, turbochargers, fuel system components, etc.
• Other projects and tasks as assigned by the Supervisor
• High school graduate, G.E.D., or equivalent studies/experience (preferred);
• Excellent communication skills
• Great attention to detail and stress tolerance;
• Must be willing to work weekends and extended hours.
• 5 or more years’ experience in diesel truck and heavy equipment with computer diagnostic ability
• Must own tools
• Vocational / Technical School or certification preferred
• Specialized training in the repair and replacement of heavy vehicle components preferred
• Proficiency in the use of shop tools required and ownership of mechanic set
• Current CDL license with air brake certification preferred
• Understand work schedule and time constraints of this shop.
• Experience as shift-lead preferred
• Ability to weld preferred
Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.