DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
Reports to: CEO Department: Concrete
The primary function of the Director of Operations - Is to lead the day-to-day operations and logistics for the ready-mix construction projects including people, environmental, health and safety, materials, productivity, and equipment. Leads the department through effective planning, staffing, implementation, and operations according to our mission statement and Duininck Standards of Conduct.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to staff operations efficiently and effectively to meet business needs.
- Coordinates regularly with CEO, Controller, Sales and Area Manager to ensure effective contract execution and project owner relations.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results-driven, team-oriented environment.
- Establish environmental, health and safety as a priority for the Operations Managers and overall ready-mix workforce.
- Allocate equipment, materials, and people across construction jobs to meet project needs.
- Participate in establishing goals and ensure that those goals are met.
- Build and maintain an effective operations management team.
- Travel to projects and work with the operations team members as necessary to ensure safe, effective, and efficient running of construction jobs.
- Work with Operations team to resolve issues including contract disputes, personnel issues, materials need and productivity concerns.
- Analyze project elements such as cost, productivity, environmental, health & safety and quality to ensure adherence to the job contract.
- Manage subcontractor compliance to our agreements.
- Identify and communicate work that is beyond the contract scope to the contract manager. Ensure proper field documentation and support the contract manager negotiation with the project owner prior to completing extra work.
- Meet with project owners, inspectors, and government officials regularly to ensure compliance to requirements.
- Make recommendations to the CEO and Asset Manager for the purchase of equipment and materials for the Operations department.
- Provide guidance and direction to Operations Managers in the areas of people management, cost and productivity tracking, equipment movement, raw materials procurement, environmental, health and safety, working conditions and risk evaluation and control.
- Set measurable performance and developmental goals for Operations Managers and regularly evaluate results.
- Work closely with QM/QC manager to ensure compliance with quality requirements.
- Keep CEO and Area Manager informed on sensitive contract or construction issues that require heightened awareness.
- Keep CEO and Human Resources informed on sensitive personnel issues that require heightened awareness.
- Facilitate effective cross functional teamwork and communication.
- Manage effective implementation of roles and responsibilities as it pertains to operations
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ensure safe operations within all Operations Departments
- Detailed working knowledge of the concrete industry
- Ability to translate business goals into operational objectives for concrete projects and personnel.
- Knowledge of concrete operations including materials, production tracking, contract management, productivity, environmental concerns, and quality.
- Ability to negotiate skillfully.
- Ability to improve organization processes and systems to drive business growth and success.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to make timely and appropriate decisions by integrating multiple sources of information and perspectives.
- Proficient with technology, including computers and applicable software used by the business.
- Ability to establish and maintain appropriate department staffing levels.
- Ability to establish, communicate and monitor clear goals and performance expectations for direct reports.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of people and agencies.
- Ability to lead and support team members as they develop solutions to day-to-day problems.
- Ability to collaborate with members of the management team and across the organization.
- Strong and effective interpersonal and communication skills, written and oral.
- Ability to design processes and systems that allow managing from a distance.
- Ability to hold effective Performance Reviews of Department Managers
- Must be organized, self-motivated, and work well independently and as part of a group.
- Acts as a role model for creating and maintaining a positive work culture, including active coaching aligned with Duininck policies and standards.
- Must be a strong team player, able to work effectively with a variety of people, personalities, skills and organizational levels.
- Ability to delegate authority appropriately and with the right oversight to get a job done and provide an opportunity to grow the skills of the team.
- Takes personal responsibility to work efficiently and look for better ways to get a job done profitability.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a wide variety of tasks and projects while maintaining ongoing open lines of communication regarding progress and expectations.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or related field, preferred or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 plus years of field supervisory experience in concrete construction.
- 10 plus years of construction management experience preferred.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Regularly required to stand, sit and move about the facility.
- Regularly required to drive and negotiate various job sites, which can include climbing on/off equipment, etc.
- Ability to work with computer equipment and office equipment.
- Ability to lift objects up to 85 lbs.
- Travel as required.
- Driver’s license required.
- CDL driver’s license preferred.
Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.