Job Title: Business Unit Controller, Mears Southwest
Location: Austin, Texas
Reports to: Operations Controller, Mears Group, Inc. and Executive Vice President, Mears Southwest Division
Position Summary: Mears Southwest provides construction management, construction of underground structures, inspection services related to construction of underground structures and all services necessary for the complete installation, maintenance and repair of underground structures and is part of Mears Group, Inc., which is wholly owned by Quanta Services, Inc. Quanta Services is a Fortune 300 company with annual revenues in excess of $11 billion. Quanta Services provides engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) services for comprehensive infrastructure needs in the electric, power, and oil and natural gas industries. With over 42,000 employees and offices across North America and abroad, Quanta is the premier provider in the industries it serves. The successful candidate will be responsible for the accounting operations of the Mears Southwest Operating Unit and will work closely with executive management and project operations to support business decision making.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Provide executive level financial reporting and analysis to operating unit executive and project management personnel to promote sound and timely management decision-making including requisite analysis and insight on revenue, project cost, indirect cost, and SG&A trends and variances.
- Responsible for monthly financial close activities including the effective assessment of project margins considering the current project operating conditions.
- Responsible for review of judgments and estimates relative to revenue recognition on a wide array of contracts including fixed price, unit rate, and variable price contracts. Accounting methodologies used in revenue recognition may include both Percentage of Completion and Accrual methodologies.
- In concert with executive and operational management, lead, prepare, and analyze monthly operating unit financial forecasts including revenue, margin, indirect cost, SG&A, and capital spend projections.
- Active participation in senior management strategy sessions involving commercial considerations for pricing, capital expenditures, and other key operating matters
- Ensure that financial reports are prepared in compliance with company policies and directives, GAAP, and SEC Reporting requirements including preparing and providing required financial information and disclosures to Mears Corporate Accounting.
- Assess and modify, as necessary and appropriate, existing procedures and controls with the intent to improve process efficiency and/or effectiveness resulting in improved management decision making.
- Collaborate with operational billing team and shared service accounts payable and payroll teams to ensure seamless information flow for accounting, forecasting, and analysis purposes.
- Manage, report, and analyze working capital metrics primarily focused on timely customer billing and accounts receivable collection.
- Lead the annual financial planning process ensuring that the annual plan reflects company strategic objectives.
- Provide financial and contractual decision-making support for sales and proposals efforts
- Deliver financial analysis and insight into capital investment decisions
Ideal Candidate Qualifications:
- Bachelors (or similar) degree in Accounting with a minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible financial / management experience and a minimum of 3 years in a Controller role
- CPA strongly preferred
- Construction industry background preferred with significant experience and related interactions with project operations and executive management.
- Understands the nuances of telecom construction and maintenance operations with a focus on providing value-added financial analysis and process efficiency solutions.
- Exhibits an internal and external client first disposition based on close collaboration, frequent communication, and a consulting / analytical mindset
- Strong leadership and communication skills necessary to manage matters which are both directly and indirectly under the candidate’s influence while working collaboratively in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to cooperatively problem-solve in a dynamic environment prone to fast-paced change
- Ability to effectively analyze financial information and present to executive management for successful management decision making
- Capacity to work independently while meeting multiple, competing deadlines with quality deliverables
- Proven strategic thinker with effective execution skills and the ability to effectively organize and prioritize work
- Strong Microsoft Excel and data management skills
- Domestic travel up to 30% may be required
Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.