Salary $67,017.60 - $103,064.00 Annually
Location Ames - 50010 - Story County, IA
Job Type Full-time
Agency 645 Iowa Department of Transportation
Job Number 19-01579
Closing 1/20/2019 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact Deanna Maifield - 515-239-1817
Are you looking for a flexible schedule with great work-life balance? Are you ready for a challenge? Do you like working on large-scale projects that enhance the state and national transportation systems in Iowa? The Transportation Planner 4 position within the Project Management Office may be a good fit for you. The Project Management Office is looking to hire a Transportation Planner 4 that will provide planning expertise and innovative ideas for projects developed by both Iowa DOT staff as well as consultants. The Iowa DOT is looking for a candidate who has transportation planning experience, teamwork, and leadership abilities.
This position will provide leadership and guidance for projects throughout the development process. The individual in this position needs to have advanced knowledge of highway design, planning, contract documentation, and public outreach associated with all aspects of highway project development. This position works closely with the team members within the Project Management Office and will require the candidate to be flexible based on evolving priorities. Effective communication, both oral and written, will be a crucial skill as this position will be in contact with a wide variety of internal and external customers involved in our development processes and with all levels of management.
- Capable of answering a variety of highway design and plan content questions.
- Ability to successfully utilize advanced software applications.
- Analyze challenges, defines successful solution alternatives and proactively solves problems.
- Passion and commitment to excellence in our transportation system.
- Motivated, friendly, inclusive and get-it-done attitude.
- Embraces and encourages a culture that thrives on innovative ideas and leading changes that result in effective process and project improvements.
- Brings a professional positive attitude to our team every day.
Project Management Office Culture and Benefits:
- A team with a wide variety of experiences working collaboratively with staff throughout the DOT to deliver exceptional transportation improvement projects.
- Interesting and complex projects are regularly managed by our staff providing a wide breadth of experiences.
- Excellent Benefits Package. Web link: <https://das.iowa.gov/human-resources/employee-and-retiree-benefits/employees
- Work schedules are based on 40-hour work weeks.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Continuing education opportunities.
- Annual pay and cost of living increases are typical.
- An environment where teamwork, customer service, creativity, and a positive attitude are valued.
Travel: Minimal travel required
License/Certification: No certification is required, but it is hoped that the candidate selected will pursue certification with the Project Management Institute. We will provide training opportunities and mentoring in this effort.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Graduation from an accredited college or university and experience equal to eight years of full-time professional work in transportation planning*/engineering;
licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Board of Engineering Examiners and four years of qualifying transportation planning* experience;
employees with current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes experience equal to two years of full-time work as a Transportation Planner 3 or Transportation Engineer Specialist.
* Transportation planning includes preparing planning contracts and grants; preparing functional classification appeals; analyzing transportation project plans/reports to identify problems; developing portions of statewide transportation plans; or conducting/coordinating transportation research projects.
Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.