We are currently seeking an Environmental Specialist. This is a field position and candidate must have experience with environmental compliance in relation to land clearing and construction projects. We are looking for an energetic professional who enjoys working outdoors and values the freedom of working independently. If you enjoy a fast-paced environment and the challenges of a rewarding profession, consider a career in vegetation management with ECI.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations for wetland access, protected species, wood and debris disposal, site control and soil disturbance.
- Manage SWPPP (Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan) for utility transmission construction sites.
- Manage and oversee road construction crews.
- Assure that all field operations are in compliance with permits, including road use permits, natural resource protection act permits, Corp of Engineers permits, etc.
- Document pre and post-work field conditions to make sure that sites are in compliance with permits and environmental regulations and there are no conditions that require mitigation or restoration.
- Observe that wetlands & sensitive areas’ identification are in place and that the vegetation management crews are aware of them prior to entering such areas.
- Secure clearing agreements for rights-of-way where necessary, mitigate customer complaints related to scheduled or completed pruning, audit the tree contractor's work for compliance with the utility's specifications, assist in storm and emergency situations, and other miscellaneous line clearance projects.
- Assist in developing recommendations on future R-O-W maintenance requirements.
- Communicate daily with the utility client, contractors, landowners and the general public. Performing duties in a manner that will promote and maintain good public relations.
- Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Two or four-year degree in an Environmental field preferred, Construction experience with a focus on road building would suffice as well.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, strong problem solving and multi-tasking abilities and show attention to detail.
- Must be able to work alone, outdoors in various weather conditions and terrain.
- SWPP/SWPPP (Storm Water Protection Plan/Storm Water Pollution Protection Plan) experience a plus.
- Minimum 1 year of road construction or other related construction experience.
- Bi-Lingual speaking (English and Spanish) is a plus.
Physical Demands & Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employees must be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time. Reasonable accommodations, if available, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Work alone in an outdoor field environment; vehicle and foot patrol of utility power lines; remote locations as well as urban, city environment; physical demands and travel from site to site, including: walking/hiking on various surfaces including flat, dry, wet, slippery, uneven, rough, steep terrain, hills and slopes; exposure to noise, dust, grease, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; exposure to hazardous traffic conditions
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a field environment; to walk, stand, sit, and operate a motor vehicle for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, run, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; carry, push and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight (5 to 10 lbs.); to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; ability to verbally communicate to exchange information with public; ability to see and hear in normal range with or without correction; operate assigned field equipment, including handheld computer, range finder, fyrake, water backpack, shovel, and traffic cone.
Environmental Consultants, Inc. (ECI) is a leading provider of vegetation and asset management consulting services to the utility industry. Successful professionals at ECI have come from a variety of backgrounds, including: forestry, arboriculture, natural resource management, biology, landscape maintenance, horticulture, nursery management, environmental sciences, geology, agriculture, parks & recreation management, urban forestry, geography, and more. ECI offers exciting career opportunities with an excellent compensation package and ongoing growth potential.
Applicants must pass a pre-employment drug test and a criminal background check.
All candidates must possess a valid driver's license and have a good driving record.
ECI is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. EOE/AA : Minority/Female/ Vets/ Disabled.
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language:
English – Spanish – Arabic – Chinese
If you want to view the EEO is the Law Supplement poster, please choose your language:
English – Spanish – Chinese
If you want to view the Pay Transparency Policy Statement, please click the link: